libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jan 2 18:48:13 GMT 2001

Kevin,

I agree with Armand's comments.  I'm confused by yours.  How would
Konqueror know what the default workgroup is?  If it sent a request to
find the default workgroup, what service would respond?

On Windows systems, the default workgroup is set as a system-wide
parameter in the network configuration.  It doesn't matter which
application or which user is accessing the NetBIOS network, they all get
the same default.

For libsmbclient, we can easily move beyond that.  Each application could,
in theory, be assigned a default workgroup.  The question is simply the
mechanism for doing so.  In my last message I suggested an architecter,
which is simply:  libsmbclient would first check for a global
configuration file, then a user config file.  From that point on, the
application could change any defaults, possibly as a result of reading its
own config file.

This allows both a standard config file for libsmbclient and
per-application (or even per-process) settings.

Have I made this any clearer?

Chris -)-----