NetBIOS Names (Was: Re: Directory listing in libsmbclient.so)

Welsh, Armand armand.welsh at sscims.com
Tue Jan 2 17:06:43 GMT 2001

yes it is, in fact, if you do this on NT, it will warn that ms-dos clients
won't be able to access the server.  The use of a space, or more than 8
(maybe 11) characters, can render names unusuable in dos, and WFW, so if you
want to be compliant with out of date opperating systems, that just can't
handle the newer, longer names, then you want to block these conditions,
otherwise, every other OS should be able to handle this case just fine.