libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jan 2 02:24:24 GMT 2001

> > On a Windows box, you configure your default workgroup or domain along
> >
> 	I'm sorry I think I lost this thread. I looked at Richards post and see
> that the plan is "smb://" url with no server|workgroup specified will list
> *workgroups* and I think Steve was wondering if the *servers of the
> default workgroup* would be listed somehow.

Right.

> I think I took it for granted
> that listing *servers of the default workgroup* would be the default
> behavior for the "smb://" url with no server|workgroup specified.

No, the default behavior for smb:// would be to list the available
workgroups.  There may be several workgroups available on any given
subnet, so this is how you would find a 'foreign' workgroup and the
servers therein.

A question was raised (by Steve, I think), regarding the use of the
default workgroup (read from the config file).  He suggested that
'smb:///' (with three slashes) could be used as an equivalent to
'smb://<default workgroup>/'.  The problem with that is the case in which
no default has been specified.  Also, Richard had reservations about
assigning a meaning to this syntax.

My own opinion is that the use of the default workgroup should be
determined by the application, but that in most cases it would be used as
a starting point for browsing operations.  Eg., when you start the
browsing application it automatically comes up with the workgroup
listing--sort of like a home page.

Chris -)-----