libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Jan 2 00:19:27 GMT 2001

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:

> > However, one of the advantages of using URL-like syntax is that it allows
> > integration of SMB file browsing into more general-purpose applications.
> > Starting browsing operations at the default workgroup level isn't necessarily
> > appropriate for something like midnight commander, even though it's
> > reasonable to want to integrate SMB-awareness into such applications.

> 	I don't understand. I would think it's ideal for something like Midnight
> 	Commander. By default, users would probably want to browse the servers
> 	of their workgroup, yes? Presumably this would be specified in your
> 	.smbc?

To clarify, the default location for something like Midnight Commander should
not be anything SMB-related at all.  One would rather expect it to be '/' or
'~' instead.  So for applications such as this are concerned, we would want
some way to reference "show all the workgroups on the network" as well as
"show all the servers in the default workgroup" by means of a textual path (a
URL).

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer