a much improved smbprint script.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Dec 10 17:46:02 GMT 2001

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 11:45:48AM +1030, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >dozen variants). And, by beginning the first line of a script with
> >"#!/bin/sh" (without the quotes, of course), the use of sh is forced.

> Does that include ULTRIX and SCO, and DG/UG?

	Being a ancient SCO jock, I can say...

	Don't know, maybe, and don't know.

	I would have to check with the current versions of SCO but the
older versions had a kernel option they called "hash pling" (#!) [DON'T
ask me why those idiots didn't call it "hash bang"].  It was a kernel
tuning compile option.  If it was "disabled" then the scripts would default
to csh if the first character was a hash "#" and sh if the first character
was a colon ":".  Then again, maybe one of those two was to default to
YOUR shell as opposed to forcing.  Seeing as I now have a recent SCO
system at a client's site, I guess I can test that out to be sure.

	Bottom line is that, no matter WHAT some people may claim to
be "true", the truth is that, depending on version and kernel options,
the "true" answer on SCO is "it depends".  And that sucks...  :-/

	BTW...  Smbprint really sucks on SCO anyways.  I did a totally
different version of it that integrated better with the spooler that
the Samba included version of smbprint.  Variables were stored in
/usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/printers/{printername}/smbconf to correspond
with the other control parameters.  That script gets installed as an
interface file under /usr/spool/lp/interfaces/{printername}.  Had
to do some weird error recovery, though.  Every once in a long while
smbclient blows up before even starting with an error 141 which the
header files indicates is a XENIX error "EINIT".  Doesn't make a lick
of sense, but a short delay and retry recovers from that.

	Basically, my SCO version of SMB print is a marriage of the
SCO "network" interface with the basic ideas of smbprint.  The client
is very happy with that, now...

> --
> Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, LPIC-1
> www.samba.org, www.ethereal.com, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba
> in 24 Hours, Special Edition, Using Samba

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/