smbsh broken(?) on Linux

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Mon Dec 10 06:55:02 GMT 2001

Jay Ts wrote:
> I just tried running smbsh here, on two different Linux systems.
> Both are Red Hat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2) and running Samba 2.2.2.
> It goes like this:
>
> $ smbsh
> Username: jay
> Password:
> ERROR: can't get smbw shared lock (Invalid argument)
>
> This looks like a bug in the source/smbwrapper/shared.c file...

	Well, sorta...

	There was a change to glibc2 to make it hard to
	write programs like smbsh using the elf LD_PRELOAD
	option.  I think this is what you're actually
	seeing.

> or is it me?  There is extremely little said about smbsh and
> smbwrapper in the Samba docs, and the README file in the smbwrapper
> directory looks about 2 years out of date, so it's hard to tell if
> I have configured something wrong.  Or if it is even supposed
> to work on Linux with the 2.4 kernel.

	At the moment, no.  The reccomendation is
	to use smbmount on Linux, although my personal
	preference is smbsh!

--dave
Americas Customer Engineering, | some people and astonish the rest.
SunPS Integration Services.    |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com