follow symlink, but not on del

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Dec 7 12:14:07 GMT 2001

Kervin Pierre wrote:

> hi,
>
> I would like my samba install to follow symlinks on shares *but* not
> when deletion ( or more precisely unlink? ) is concerns.  In case of
> unlink, then only the link is deleted, not the file or folder it links to.
>
> Is this currently possible?
>
> The issue is that generally we use symlinks to place special folders in
> users homedirectories.  Therefore...
> follow symlinks = yes
> was enable.
>
> A problem arised when the SGI IRIX boxes started putting a "Desktop"
> folder into the user's homedirectory when they log in.  The "Desktop"
> folder had a symlink to the users homedirectory, "Desktop/home" or
> something.  And if a user deleted that Desktop folder, which they did
> not ask for in the first place, then their entire homedirectory was
> deleted.  A few people lost their homedirectory that way.
>
> That automatic creation of the Desktop folder can be configured away on
> the IRIX box but the fact remains that an application that makes that
> mistake can cost the user his/her homedirectory or other directory
>
> I would like to configure my samba installation to act as how most UNIX
> platforms act.  That is, if a link is deleted, the resource that that
> link points to is *not* deleted but rather only the link itself is.
>
> An additional option such as...
> follow symlinks on delete = no
> or similar
>
> Is this possible?

Unfortunetly no.  Samba does't get a 'delete this symlink' or even a
'delete this hirachy', but instead starts getting requests for file
listings, shortly followed by file deletion requests, starting at the
top.

This means that the 'delete this symlink' is the *last* command that
samba gets, well and truly after the damage is done.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net