smbd daemon mode - fork() ?

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Thu Dec 6 17:30:17 GMT 2001

Ulf Bertilsson wrote:

--Boundary_(ID_XQLzGgCx7kKlEFTjmefUjQ)

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">=0D=
=0A<HTML><HEAD>=0D=0A<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"tex=

Please do not send HTML to mailing lists, thank you.

Please check that you do not have the reply in same format checked as it
overrides all other plain settings in the Microsoft mail clients.
Apparently an undocumented feature.

> Quick question.
>
> Any other os have problem implementing/Emulation fork() ?
>
> We have given up to get smbd to run as deamon.

OpenVMS does not currently have a fork() function, and there is no way
to effectively emulate it.  Anything that uses fork() must be recoded.

I have not completed the coding for this yet for anything past 2.0.6.

The OpenVMS debugger can handle debugging SMBD either interactively or
in daemon mode otherwise.  The daemon mode can be configured to launch
the debugger back to an X-11 display.  But obviously when doing that,
you want to limit the number of sessions launched.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only