Off-topic: SSL and GPL.

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Wed Aug 22 18:20:45 GMT 2001

Michal Trojnara <Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net> wrote:
> I'll try to make it clear:
> 1. I wasn't able to find an open specification for SSL negotiation in CIFS.
> 2. I'd like to add CIFS negotiation to my software
> (http://stunnel.mirt.net/).
> 3. I'm not able to study samba code without accepting GPL license.
>    (nothing else grants me permission to do that)

	Speak to the Gnu project about that: while various
	folks who don't like the GPL will claim that,
	nothing in the GPL actually says so, and the FSF
	lawyers will swear to that.

	Before believing someone's assertions about
	licencing terms, ask if the assertions aren't
	FUD from a compeditor, intended to make the
	organization look less credible in the marketplace.

--dave (who doesn't actually like the GPL himself,
	but isn't harmed by it) c-b
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com