Looking for contributors to build mini-Linux Network

Patrick slu at firerun.net
Sat Aug 18 16:12:50 GMT 2001

For a network, switches are the way to go. (The vendor was right in
telling you to buy switches).  The difference between the two is that if
a computer sends a network packet to a hub is will forward that packet
on to every computer to get the packet to its destination.  On a large
network with several PCs this can be counter productive since each
machine needs to wait to send the packet if there is a collision.  A
switch on the other hand will look at the destination of the packet and
forward it to the correct port so the packet does not go to every PC.
This is ideal for large networks, and it also allows for full-duplex
mode.

For modems and Linux, linux will use a hardware modem with ease, but
with newer modems they are mostly referred to as Winmodems because they
use software drivers to run the modem, which the same drivers will not
work with linux.  I think lucent or another company has some software
drivers for those modems, but since I do not use any winmodems I have
not dealt with that problem.

As far as running linux on the PCs it is a matter of personal choice
what Distro you use.  I would however suggest NOT to use redhat 7.0 that
version is very buggy especially gcc if you plan to compile software.
If you want to use redhats linux, either use the redhat 5.0 you have or
get a copy of redhat 7.1

As a caution on the distro you use on your PCs, if you use a newer
distro you will want 64Mb or more of ram if you plan to run Xwindows
with Gnome or KDE, other wise 32Mb of ram should work for redhat 5.0 or
other older distros.

As far as the Amiga's I have not worked with them, but I would assume
that you could add a network card to them.

Hope that helps

Patrick Gunerud