Strange Win-client probs while Linux clients work

Carsten Reckord creckord at owl-online.de
Thu Aug 16 17:22:50 GMT 2001

Hi folks,

I am currently experiencing some (at least to me) REALLY weird problems:

Using Samba 2.2.x (tried 2.2.0 and 2.2.1a) I have set up a Samba-Server
with userlevel security. Accessing the server from a Linux box works 100%
perfect.
But same thing on the SAME CLIENTS running either Win2k (SP1) or WinNT(SP6)
leads to problems - see below, but first the config:

The smb.conf file I use (a minimalistic one for testing purposes) looks as
follows (including some different values I checked out):

[global]
   encrypt passwords = Yes
   os level = 80
   preferred master = Yes/No
   dns proxy = Yes/No
   hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
   interfaces = 192.168.0.128 # tried w/o too
   browseable = Yes
   map to guest = Bad User
   guest account = nobody
   wins support = Yes/No
   wins proxy = Yes/No

[homes]
   browseable = No
   hosts allow = 192.168.0.128/255.255.255.248

[full]
   path=/
   valid users = root
   hosts allow = 192.168.0.128/255.255.255.248

[docs]
   path=/usr/share/doc
   guest ok = Yes

[tmp]
   path=/tmp

Ok, now for the problem:
I can browse the share list from the windows clients without problem,
mounting the shares is no problem either.
But trying to access the contents of some of the shares I am out of luck.
For example I cannot list the contents of my homedir (e.g. for root)
mounted through the homes-share or the contents of the full-share. Likewise
I cannot list the contents of some sub-directories of the docs-share
(packages, faq/faq ...). Using the Explorer to do so it takes about 1
minute and then I get something like "cannot access share. network name no
longer exists" or "network path not found". Typing dir in a dos box just
returns an empty list after the same 1 minute.
Trying to copy a file to one of those shares/dirs from the Explorer nothing
happens at all, from the dos box I get a "write error".
tmp-share and some other subdirs of the docs-share work fine.

To make things even stranger: Using the same config with the same samba
version on a different Linux box (same Distribution/kernel/...) there are
no problems at all...

Does anybody have any idea about that? Thanx in advance.

In case you need more information:

-Server is SuSE Linux 7.2, Kernel 2.4.4
-Directories I talked about are all owned by root/root and have permissios
755 (700 for roots home)

Some other stuff running on the server:
ISC dhcpd 3.0rc4
Bind 9

And in case you really want to investigate deeper in this I have added
gzipped level 3 protocols of a successful connect to the tmp-share and a
messed up connect to the full-share, both beginning with a freshly started
smbd

So again, thanx in advance for any help...
Carsten