Password encryption in 2.2.0

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Apr 26 05:23:50 GMT 2001

> /* #undef HAVE_BROKEN_GETGROUPS */
> /* #undef REPLACE_GETPASS */
> /* #undef REPLACE_INET_NTOA */
>

> So it doesn't appear to be getting set.

yep, just as I suspected :)

> I am attaching the config.log. I don't see anything that really stands out
> as a blaring failure.

It's a failure of include files. This is the relevant bit from your config.log:

    configure:10199: checking whether getpass should be replaced
    configure:10220: gcc -c -O -Wall -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE  -I./include -I./ubiqx -I./smbwrapper conftest.c 1>&5
    In file included from include/util_list.h:28,
		     from include/includes.h:623,
		     from lib/getsmbpass.c:21,
		     from configure:10212:
    include/smb.h:1672:35: nsswitch/winbindd_nss.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from lib/getsmbpass.c:21,
		     from configure:10212:
    include/includes.h:649:22: winbindd.h: No such file or directory

Luckily its nothing to do with your system, its just a bug in our
configure test which we seem to have introduced in 2.2.0. We will fix
it for 2.2.1, meanwhile your solution of manually editing config.h is
the correct one.

I suspect this also explains the problem that Joe Meslovich
<joe at bridgewater.edu> saw. In general passwords longer than 8
characters won't work with smbpasswd in Samba 2.2.0 if your OS has a
old-style getpass() routine that is limited to 8 characters.

Cheers, Tridge