Samba and NT security

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Apr 26 03:21:07 GMT 2001

Hi Steve,
It's possible.  In security= server mode, samba pretty much attempts a login
on your user behalf on the nt domain controller.  If for some reason this is
failing, then if you have a domain lockout policy that locks an account out
after x number of bad login attempts, you could see this.
Need to set your log level up a bit, and make sure that this is not
happening - perhaps some of your users are actually getting access as guest
because of a bad login attempt, or a fallback authentication via the local
smbpasswd file, so they are not noticing the problem...
Hope this helps,
Don