make error with current samba 2.2 CVS...

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Apr 21 00:34:32 GMT 2001

David Lee wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Paul Sanders wrote:
>
> > I have experienced a problem today with samba 2.2 via cvs giving an error
> > during make.
> >
> > the setup:
> > VA Enhanced RHL 6.2.4 [fresh install - no samba]
> > cvs of SAMBA_2_2 at ~10am EST
> > configure --with-pam
> > make
> > crashes when trying to link smbd as follows:
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Compiling foo/bar.c
> > no compile errors
> > Linking bin/smbd
> > smbd/session.o: In function 'session_claim':
> > smbd/session.o(.text+0x1eb): undefined reference to 'lp_utmp_hostname'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1
> >
> > [dumped back to shell]
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I have no experience with CVS, therefore am completely unqualified to
> comment.  So here goes...
>
> The recent 2.2.0 release doesn't appear to have any "session.*" files.
> Presumably, then, this is something new in CVS, not in 2.2.0 ?
>
> Anything in the source code relatd to "utmp" should be enclosed inside:
>    #ifdef WITH_UTMP
>    #endif
>
> In 2.0.7 and 2.2.0, this was only the files "param/loadparm.c" and
> "smbd/connection.c".
>
> This is driven by the "--with-utmp" experimental option.  Although you
> don't have that, it should be not matter at all, because it _ought_ to be
> hermetically sealed with those "#ifdef" statements.
>
> I seem to recall a few days ago someone mentioning a PAM-related patch
> modelled on the utmp-code (and I see you have "--with-pam".)  I wonder
> whether this is related?
>
> > I have reproduced this in a second machine - same setup & result.
> >
> > Does this ring a bell with anyone?
> > Is there any other info I can provide?
> >
> > Assistance is much appreciated, as always.
>
> Hope the above helps.  You are dabbling in CVS, so you are choosing to opt
> in to DIY-debugging!  Peek inside this new session.c file, look for "utmp"
> references and check they have "#ifdef WITH_UTMP" guarding.

Sorry about that, it appears that when tridge and I rewrote utmp support
(part of which we transformed into generic sesions support) we forgot
finish cleaning utmp out of there.

For the timebeing, just enable --with-utmp, if utmp = no then the code
paths are identical to what we would have without utmp but with pam.

I am testing a patch that does this properly - it oblitorates
lp_utmp_hostname().

abartlet at pcug.org.au