make error with current samba 2.2 CVS...

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Apr 20 15:12:08 GMT 2001

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Paul Sanders wrote:

> I have experienced a problem today with samba 2.2 via cvs giving an error
> during make.
>
> the setup:
> VA Enhanced RHL 6.2.4 [fresh install - no samba]
> cvs of SAMBA_2_2 at ~10am EST
> configure --with-pam
> make
> crashes when trying to link smbd as follows:

> Compiling foo/bar.c
> no compile errors
> Linking bin/smbd
> smbd/session.o: In function 'session_claim':
> smbd/session.o(.text+0x1eb): undefined reference to 'lp_utmp_hostname'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1
>
> [dumped back to shell]

I have no experience with CVS, therefore am completely unqualified to
comment.  So here goes...

The recent 2.2.0 release doesn't appear to have any "session.*" files.
Presumably, then, this is something new in CVS, not in 2.2.0 ?

Anything in the source code relatd to "utmp" should be enclosed inside:
   #ifdef WITH_UTMP
   #endif

In 2.0.7 and 2.2.0, this was only the files "param/loadparm.c" and
"smbd/connection.c".

This is driven by the "--with-utmp" experimental option.  Although you
don't have that, it should be not matter at all, because it _ought_ to be
hermetically sealed with those "#ifdef" statements.

I seem to recall a few days ago someone mentioning a PAM-related patch
modelled on the utmp-code (and I see you have "--with-pam".)  I wonder
whether this is related?

> I have reproduced this in a second machine - same setup & result.
>
> Does this ring a bell with anyone?
> Is there any other info I can provide?
>
> Assistance is much appreciated, as always.

Hope the above helps.  You are dabbling in CVS, so you are choosing to opt
in to DIY-debugging!  Peek inside this new session.c file, look for "utmp"
references and check they have "#ifdef WITH_UTMP" guarding.