i have no /etc/smbpasswd file???

Steffen Moser moser at egu.schule.ulm.de
Wed Apr 18 11:44:06 GMT 2001

Hello,

Hanz S Yoro wrote:

> I,ve just installed slackware7.1 with the samba
> package. However, i tried looking for the smbpasswd
> file which is usually in the /etc directory, but i
> was not able to find it. How do i create the smbpasswd
> file manually?

I think as soon as you execute the binary "smbpasswd" (with option "-a"
to create a new account in the "smbpasswd"-File) it will be created...

You should also set "encrypt passwords = yes" in your "smb.conf" to
enable the usage of encrypted passwords (which are stored in the
"smbpasswd"-file).

HTH!

Best regards,
Steffen