Default page size (was 2.2 release imminent)

Damian Ivereigh damian at cisco.com
Tue Apr 17 09:59:12 GMT 2001

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 12:47:05AM -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:
> > This sounds like the global device mode vs. per user device
> > mode in Win2k.  Jeremy, I thought the per user device mode
> > was stored in the local client's registry.

Hmm, I'm not so sure. The thing that feels wierd is the way it
sometimes defaults to Legal rather than Letter. It sort of feels like
there is some unitialised data somewhere, forcing the program to make
a decision. Another thing that *may* be related is that under win2k
(can't remember under NT4), when you pull up the properties of a
printer you get a bunch of info about the capabilities of the printer
(page sizes available, duplex, stapling, colour etc), when the printer
is hosted on another win2k server. When the printer is hosted on Samba
this data is missing. I am wondering if the applications need this
data sometimes and finding it missing, don't really know what to do.
The above is all done using a postscript driver.

> > Damian, Could you try to reproduce this on NT 4?  I'll try
> > when I get back to the office.

I will attempt to do this tomorrow.

> Yes, this sounds familiar like the W2K issue. If it is
> you're correct, I bet it won't be reproducible on NT4.
>
> I may have to revisit the initial device mode set from W2k....

I'll get back to you...

Damian

--
Damian Ivereigh