Default page size (was 2.2 release imminent)

Damian Ivereigh damian at cisco.com
Mon Apr 16 11:37:00 GMT 2001

> Christopher Odenbach wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Yep, we're thinking we should do an official 2.2 Samba release
> > > early next week, so if you have anything you can't live
> > > with, now would be a good time to tell us....
> >
> > Well, as I told you several times before, I still have problems with
> > automatic printer driver download. The download itself works, but the
> > document defaults settings are not working. I can very well set the
> > defaults and they _are_ saved, but they are not _read_ or _taken_ for
> > new documents. When I open "WordPad" and look at the page settings, the
> > page size is "Letter". not "A4" as I set in the defaults.
> >
> > I tried 2.2.0a3 on both Solaris and linux and get the same results, I tried
> > different NT workstations - same results.
>
> I need complete details on how to reproduce this. Client
> types, Samba build info, Samba server OS version, and
> especially printer driver details. Also a complete idiots
> "click here and do this" step by step of what you are doing.

Jeremy,

Could I weigh in on this one. I too have been having this problem,
however I am not running a standard Samba (just one that got yanked
off the CVS tree!). This problem has been really easy to re-produce.
First this seems to be a Letter/A4 problem, so you may have difficulty
reproducing it unless you pretend to be living outside the US!

I have only tried this on win2k, but it probably also breaks on NT. So
setup a printer (upload a driver etc etc) and set everything you can
find on it A4. Now take a new PC and if you're feeling up to it even
change the locality on your win2k client to the UK, however it is not
important. Now, install the new printer onto this local PC. Open up
Powerpoint (other apps may do, but I know it fails with PP) and set it
to print on this printer. Set the preferences to be A4 size paper.

Now close PP. Reopen it and go and set it to print to this printer
again. Go and check the preferences again. The papersize has either
changed to Letter or Legal, not A4.

I hope this helps,

Damian
--