Packet collision on Samba traffic

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Thu Apr 5 06:18:46 GMT 2001

A switch + full duplex nics would avoid collisions,
anyway collisions are normal (under a certain rate) with hubs (that are
topologically identical to an old coaxial cable).
Data are generally not lost as when a collision is detected a jamming
sequence stop both the nics that are trasmitting and they schedule for
retransmission of the whole packet.
The side effect is that an overloaded hub (too many machine or too many
transfers needed) would slow down the network considerably and this is the
reason for the switches exist (they are not an unique domain of
collision).

Hope this helps.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce - Linux Systems Consultant
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel: +39 0348 7149179 - Fax: +39 02 700442399