Does SAMBA do HTTP?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu Sep 28 15:32:15 GMT 2000

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Cole, Timothy D. wrote:

> Is there any reason you can't just run Apache and Samba on the same machine?

> Or is the problem that you can't get a DNS name at all, and you were
> wondering if you could leverage the NetBIOS space for HTTP somehow?  (if the
> latter, you can't -- browsers don't do name lookups in NetBIOS namespace
> ever)

On the contrary, on a Windows system, I've seen a netbios name typed into a
browser window pull up the expected (or unexpected) website on the local
network.  This is certainly a bad idea, both on the part of the implementors
who tied NetBIOS resolution into the system in this fashion and on the part of
those publicizing their netbios name as a URL, but there it is.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer