smb implementation

Jelmer Feenstra spark at dds.nl
Wed Sep 27 12:44:18 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've recently been busy trying to find out what the best way of implementing
the smb protocol for a certain application would be (client side only).
Libsmb++ (written by Nicolas Brodu) seemed very nice at first, however it is
buggy using it's native code, and doesn't work ok linking with samba-tng
libraries either.

Besides the fact that I need some sort of smb client implementation for
something I want to write myself, it would also be nice to give the kde2 guys
an idea of what would be the best approach for implementing smb in their
filemanager : konqueror (considering they're using libsmb++ at the moment).

The code in samba-2.0.7 present in the libsmb dir can be used for this, but I
was wondering if this is the way to go. Samba-tng has a different libsmb
(which actually compiles to a .so) but this implementation seems unfinished
to me, it has problems dealing with NT5/WIN2000 systems. I also read that
samba-tng is just a reference implementation, and that using the library for
your own purposes wouldn't be very clever :(

So my question : What's the best way to go when trying to implement smb
(clientside) ? What are you guys up to with future releases of samba (I've
checked some mailinglists, sorry if I missed crucial information) ?

Thanks in advance,

Jelmer Feenstra

PS I believe I found some old code (1996) by Andrew Trigell (I think) which
was aiming into the direction of building a library for this purpose ?