2.2 split has taken place.

Marc Jacobsen Marc_Jacobsen at hp.com
Thu Sep 21 17:05:00 GMT 2000

Anders,

The ACL support submitted to the Samba team that Jeremy is integrating is
modular, as Jeremy has stated, and similar to what you have proposed.  When
submitted there were modules for translating NT ACL data to UNIX filesystem
permissions, and for translating NT ACL data to Veritas VxFS 3.3 POSIX ACLs on
HPUX.

If POSIX ACLs are exactly the same on all UNIXes (which I doubt) that module
could be used basically as is by all UNIXes.  If there are differences, people
will have to take the HPUX-POSIX ACL module, make the changes to get it to work
with their POSIX ACL implementation, and thus create a new module for that
UNIX/ACL variant.

All the ACL modules can be used at once, or in any combination, on a per-share
basis.  Each module is basically just a source file where a few functions must
be defined to implement the ACL translations and some checking.

I hope this answers your questions.
Marc Jacobsen