new messaging system

Ron Alexander rcalex at home.com
Wed Sep 13 21:43:32 GMT 2000

FWIW, having created several messaging systems over the years, me and my
partner in crime came to the understanding that the following general
structure was ideal.

Length	(either inclusive or non-inclusive)
MsgType
other data

with appropriate sizes (short or long).

The only real debate was if Type should be first, but we settled that for
the following reason.

The 'smallest' program is one that simply reads a stream of data. The only
'data' that you need to know about is the length so you can consume the
record and get to the next. (this was a buffered data stream with about 30
messages per block)

This was for a global financial markets data feed and had to be super fast
(shared memory DB's) as well as 100% reliable.

I have no interest in a debate nor do I wish to claim this is better than
the current proposal, I just wanted to let you know of the experience of
some folks from another systems area. If you do not see any merit in the
concept for your new messaging system, that is fine with me.

Regards,
Ron