shared libraries for password backends

Rafał Szcześniak rszczesniak at mis.com.pl
Thu Oct 26 21:24:34 GMT 2000

Great idea !

What should I start to read ? ;-)
Call for help if you need it. I'm especially interested in LDAP support.

greetings,
rafal

Gerald Carter <gcarter at valinux.com>
Sent by: samba-technical-admin at us5.samba.org
00-10-25 23:42

        To:     samba-technical at samba.org
        cc:
        Subject:        shared libraries for password backends

FOlks,

I'm brainstorming here a little and thought I would throw
this one out.  In the past we have talked about using
shared libraries for RPC functionality as a means of
grouping functions and make smbd more extensible.

So I'm working on passdb/* stuff and I'm think "Whew!  There
are a lot of passdb compile options!"  Why not have a parameter
like

                 passdb module path = /usr/local/samba/lib/tdbpasswd.so

or

                 passdb module path = /usr/local/samba/lib/ldappasswd.so

and have these things loadable at run time?

This is a little easier way to start down this path since if
a platform does not support shared libraries, we can simply
disable the functionality at compile time and still use
smbpasswd as the default.  However, for those that do, this
gives us a chance to work on *.so issues before attacking
the RPC libraries.  A good learning experience I think.
Anyone like or explictly hate this idea?

There was some work on this type of thing for OpenLDAP's
db backend modules.  I'm going to follow up and see what happened
or is happening with that.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org