question about documentation

gcarter at valinux.com gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Oct 10 15:19:57 GMT 2000

Matthew Geddes wrote:

> It really isn't that hard. If you've ever used
> something like groff, you could learn it in you sleep.
> Which more standard format were you thinking of?

I agree is not is hard to figure out.  It's just not
used anywhere else that I'm aware.  I've run across one
other project that uses YODL.

My point is that if there is a standard skill set that
is more widely available, we might want to think about
using that for the following reasons:

  o It provides an easier way for volunteers to jump
    in and help out.
  o We get to leverage off the current skill set available
    in the Linux community

Of course, this is only my personal opinion. :-)
Does anyone else feel that this is a valid point?
Or am I alone?  We need to set documentation
standards in order to help guarentee long life
of docs past the period of the maintainer.  In other
words, an esoteric format would be replaced by
the next maintainer's choice, and so on and so on.
A standared, widely used format would seem to alleviate this
problem somewhat.

Of course, this point is moot without people to do the
work. :-)

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org