API's and the such

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Oct 2 03:54:24 GMT 2000

David Flynn wrote:

> Something i have been wondering more and more about
> recently is about an API.  Is there an API as such for
> Samba, which would give us (programmers of other
> utilities) the ability to have functions such as thoes
> listed in MSDN, i am refering to mainly the Net*
> Calls. Currently, i have had to do nasty little hacks and
> get link to the samba shared objects ... so is there
> another layer of abstraction out there ? if not, would
> anyone be intereseted in such a thing ? if there is a
> reason why this hasnt been done ( i am thinking of
> technical reasons of sound standing here ), then please
> let us know.

Dave,

The sidlc mailing list is for the purposes of developing a
portable dce/rpc library.  You may want to check there.

Couple more points.  This was one of Luke's goals.  Luke has
since stopped development.  You could perhaps pick up some
of his work.  SAMBA_TNG splits many sets of functions into
shared libraries.  You may want to start looking at that.

If you are talk structly about SMB functions (which you would
also need for MS-RPC), you could examine the previously referred
to libsmb/ directory of the samba source.  It needs some
cleaning up in order to provide for a separate library.  There
are a lot of dependencies there that get linked in.

Good Luck.  I think this would be a very good thing to
start work on again.

Just out of curiousity.  What kind of application are
you working on that needs SMB support?

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org