API's and the such

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Mon Oct 2 03:08:09 GMT 2000

Samba was designed as a monolith.  Andrew and I have talked about it a
few times.  For the main goals of Samba, I agree with Tridge and others
that this makes sense.

Still, the need for other code architectures has been raised several
times.  My own solutions are:

- I am working on documenting the implementation of CIFS.  There will be
  code examples.  The work is slow but I've just freed up some time by
  giving up a second job.  We'll see.

- We've got a project going to implement CIFS client functionality in
  Java.  The project is moving to a new server and, during the transition,
  things are a bit broken.  Try http://jcifs.samba.org/ in a week or two.

If you want to write a library in C rather than C++, don't worry about
TNG vs. 2.2., etc.  Start by teasing out the basics.  Start with the
NetBIOS name service, then datagrams, then sessions.  Once that's done
start with SMB.  Keep it clean so that it can run over NetBIOS *or*
native over port 445 (a la Win2K native mode).

Pull stuff out of Samba as you need it, but build the library as you
build your understanding.  You'll be amazed how much clean-up you'll wind
up doing.

Chris -)-----