API's and the such

Jelmer Feenstra spark at dds.nl
Sun Oct 1 22:03:29 GMT 2000

On Sun, 01 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Something i have been wondering more and more about recently is about an
> API.  Is there an API as such for Samba, which would give us (programmers
> of other utilities) the ability to have functions such as thoes listed in
> MSDN, i am refering to mainly the Net* Calls.
> Currently, i have had to do nasty little hacks and get link to the samba
> shared objects ... so is there another layer of abstraction out there ? if
> not, would anyone be intereseted in such a thing ? if there is a reason why
> this hasnt been done ( i am thinking of technical reasons of sound standing
> here ), then please let us know.

Well I'm looking for something usefull too. There's this libsmb++ project :
http://libsmb.sourceforge.net, but it's not completely finished :(

I've been thinking about building a lib myself (in C), which would have
generic open/read/close etc functions, however, I'm not quite sure whether to
use the samba_2_2 branch or the SAMBA_TNG branch. There a problems with both
:(

Well, let me know what your ideas are,

Jelmer Feenstra