Variable Substitution for NT Domain

cjsmith at btinternet.com cjsmith at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 23 10:29:48 GMT 2000

Jeremy,

Your suggestion doesn't quite work - the %D (or %W)
variable is always replaced with the domain of the
Samba *server*, not that of the *user*.

e.g.: My server is in domain EUROPE. The EUROPE and
FRANCE domains have a trust relationship in the PDC.

If I connect as "EUROPE\csmith", and have a
share "domain" mapped as "/data/%D", it
opens /data/EUROPE.

If I connect as "FRANCE\csmith", it also
opens /data/EUROPE (it should have
been /data/FRANCE). I have verified that the server is
authenticating me as FRANCE\csmith, not
EUROPE\csmith.

I also tried tweaking the code to use lp_workgroup()
rather than my_workgroup, but this didn't make any
difference. I'm trying to hack in a change to set up a
sesssetup_domain global, but so far to no avail. I can't
follow the code well enough to work out when I can
safely assign it to a value - the check_domain_validate
section maybe?

My recommendation would be to keep %W as the
SERVER's workgroup, but set %D to the USER's domain
(for use with %U). This should then make sense in a
Win95/98 environment, where the user's domain should
be set the same as the server's workgroup.

Any further help much appreciated,

Chris.