The "--with-xxx" options: suggestions

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Thu Nov 16 13:32:10 GMT 2000

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, David Lee wrote:

> 4. In the particular case of "--with-quotas" we need a per-share parameter
>    called "quota" (or "df quota" or similar), defaulting to "off", with a
>    "README"/"CHANGELOG"/whatever note, indicating the change to the opt-in
>    mechanism (from compile-time to per-share run-time).

Only replying about quotas:

A week ago, I had the idea that the quota code can be moved in the VFS.
That would simplify a lot of things. The quota code is currently full of
#define and can't be activated by share as you have said. If it's moved to
the VFS code, both of those problems are solved at the same time.

If someone wants to take charge of it, the job is not really complicated.
It's just a matter of splitting the smbd/quota.c code into several VFS
module backends, adding a new entry to the VFS ops struct and documenting
the new system.

A little smb.conf example:

#my solaris server
#a share on a UFS quota disk