quota restructure [Was: Re: The "--with-xxx" options: suggestions]

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu Nov 16 18:47:48 GMT 2000

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Jean Francois Micouleau wrote:

> A week ago, I had the idea that the quota code can be moved in the VFS.
> That would simplify a lot of things. The quota code is currently full of
> #define and can't be activated by share as you have said. If it's moved to
> the VFS code, both of those problems are solved at the same time.

I agree that the quotas.c file is unclean and awkward, and that things
could benefit from a reworking.  I don't know anything about the VFS code
so am unable to comment on the details of your proposed solution.

> It's just a matter of splitting the smbd/quota.c code into several VFS
> module backends, adding a new entry to the VFS ops struct and documenting
> the new system.

I understand that the work in hand is relatively major: from 2.0.x to the
2.2.0 series (as distinct from a minor step e.g. as 2.0.6 to 2.0.7 was).
Given that, I suspect that the Samba Team would want to be ultra-cautious
at this time about major change to something that already basically works.

So my guess is that your principle is promising, but that it might be more
prudent to delay until 2.2.0 is released;  that is, until the 2.0.x/2.2.0
transition is stable.  (Of course, it would be excellent to be working on
the background sketching and agreement-in-principle now.)

> If someone wants to take charge of it, the job is not really complicated.

That implies you're not in a position to do the work yourself.

Well, if we can at least get general approval of the underlying principle,
there is a chance that I might be able to have a go at some point in the
future (but that is nothing like a promise!).  I've dabbled in "quotas.c"
before, and quota support (Solaris and Veritas) is a vital aspect in our
own service.

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee             South Road            :