2.2.0 development: tdb diskspace leak?

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Wed Nov 15 14:29:07 GMT 2000

David Lee wrote:

> On our Solaris 2.6 test system, with a CVS version of Samba 2.2.0 from
> around October 24th, the file "unexpected.tdb" seems to be growing and
> growing and ... (you get the picture).  A few days ago it exceeded 9MB.  I
> restarted Samba (and cleared the file during that), but it is now up to
> nearly 1MB and still growing.  This server itself has been almost
> completely dormant during this period, although it is on a busy network.
>
> But using "tdbtool" to examine the file usually shows only one or two
> active records in there (occasionally a few more).  The strings
> "\MAILSLOT\BROWSE" and "\MAILSLOT\NET\NETLOGON" seem to occur in the
> records.
>
> So is there a known diskspace leak somewhere in the tdb code?  (A question
> primarily about code development.)  Hopefully the answer is "known and
> fixed".  But if not, any hints as to how to begin to tackle its
> investigation?
>
> Also, I suppose, given that this file has the name "unexpected", I ought
> to ask a subsidiary question (from a user-site perspective) of "Is there
> something that should cause concern?".

In my testing with tdbpass backend I also noticed that changes to an
entries will result in an invalidation of the prevoius entry and
creation of a new one but the old entry is not deleted from the tdb
file, it is only ignored!!!
The result is a growing file!

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451