swat setup

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 9 17:08:22 GMT 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Ron Alexander wrote:

> What is the significance of the .400 in the following
>
> swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat

<args>

In this case: Service called "swat", running over tcp stream sockets, for
which the server is /usr/local/samba/bin/swat, which should be run as user
"root" with arguments "swat". "nowait" here is only relevant to dgram
sockets, not streams. The ".400" means that inetd should set a maximum
limit of 400 new sessions opened in a 60 second interval; the default is
40.

> Also, what is the final token 'swat' there for. I thought it was for
> arguments to the server. My manual states do NOT enter the name of the
> server.

The swat man page does include this final "swat" at the end of the
inetd.conf entry, but doesn't explain what it's for...

James.