swat setup

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue May 9 19:09:36 GMT 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000, James Sutherland wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2000, Ron Alexander wrote:

> > What is the significance of the .400 in the following

> > swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat

> <args>

> In this case: Service called "swat", running over tcp stream sockets, for
> which the server is /usr/local/samba/bin/swat, which should be run as user
> "root" with arguments "swat". "nowait" here is only relevant to dgram
> sockets, not streams. The ".400" means that inetd should set a maximum
> limit of 400 new sessions opened in a 60 second interval; the default is
> 40.

> > Also, what is the final token 'swat' there for. I thought it was for
> > arguments to the server. My manual states do NOT enter the name of the
> > server.

> The swat man page does include this final "swat" at the end of the
> inetd.conf entry, but doesn't explain what it's for...

The first argument after the server path is actually used as arg #0,
i.e., the name used when invoking the server.  This is particularly
useful when using tcp wrappers, since tcpd uses argv[0] to find the
server it's supposed to call on success.  For most other programs it
doesn't matter, but it doesn't hurt and it can help, so as I rule I
put it in there when adding entries to inetd.conf.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer