Samba on AIX

Elrond Elrond at Wunder-Nett.org
Tue Mar 7 16:19:24 GMT 2000

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 07:44:38AM +1100, itsore08 at us.ibm.com wrote:
> Elrond / Peter,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions re: shared library problems with Samba on AIX.
>
> I've successfuly compiled TNG 0.8 with GCC, but VAC still fails with the
> enum error. Now I can get started. :)

These enums are from Luke Howard, so I don't want to munge
arround with those. But as I noted, you can comment them
out. (you don't want to test nt5ldap currently!)

> I'm working for IBM's ITSO to produce a Redbook about running Samba on AIX.
> The book will be an installation, function, and sizing guide.

Does that mean, IBM is going to support samba somehow? (I
heard something about HP in that area?)

I have to say, that TNG is somehow the wrong branch for
this attempt. TNG only is meant for PDC things, and not as
a general purpose samba. There are lots of flaws in TNG
related to normal file-serving. You should consider the
HEAD branch unless you're targetting PDC-realted stuff.

> I've spoken with someone here about shared library support on AIX. He
> suggested > AIX 4.2.1 should now treat shared libraries much like Solaris.
> I'll post his recomendations later.

"> AIX AIX 4.2.1" means 4.3.x or did you mean ">=" ?

I tried some things on 4.2.1 and failed... I got a bunch of
segv... and stopped further trying...

> Do you know of any other issues concerning running Samba on AIX? (Anyone?)

Yes, as I already noted, having a PDC on AIX is a problem,
cause you _realy_ need usernames in your passwd, that are
longer than 8 chars. (you must put the names of your
machines in the passwd, appended with a $, and when you
like nice machine names, they tend to get longer then 7
chars.)

That's, why I haven't even tried to put my PDC on AIX.

> Thanks again,
> Steven P.
[...]

    Elrond (hoping, something is coming back :))