Samba on AIX

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Tue Mar 7 00:14:06 GMT 2000

[itsore08 at us.ibm.com]
> I've spoken with someone here about shared library support on AIX. He
> suggested > AIX 4.2.1 should now treat shared libraries much like
> Solaris.  I'll post his recomendations later.

Please do!  Inquiring minds, and all that.

As far as I can tell, if you want shared libraries to behave like an
ELF system (Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, IRIX, Tru64, etc, basically most
or all of your competitors), you have to (compile?) and link everything
with `cc -brtl' or some such.  And you have to build your DSO with a
similar flag.  And even so, I've had *very* mixed luck trying to get
one shared library built that imports symbols from another shared
library at runtime.  The binder (what most of us call "linker") seems
to want to pull in all the symbols statically at link time, so that,
for example, `libgtk' contains all of `libgdk' which contains all of
`libglib', yielding a huge `libgtk'.

If you're doing any of this with gcc, like I do, you can probably
automate the weird flags by editing your specs file.  Unfortunately I
have not yet come upon the winning combination; to me it's still black
magic.

I finally found `makeC++SharedLib' from xlC.C++.  It's a shell script,
and I'm currently taking it apart to see what it does differently....

> Do you know of any other issues concerning running Samba on AIX? (Anyone?)

We've been running 1.9.18 and 2.0 as a fileserver in `security=domain'
mode on AIX (4.1.5, 4.3.1) for ages.  There was an oplock bug in
1.9.18pX that caused an occasional smbd lockup, but since then, no
problems.

I made a simple source modification to allow smbd and nmbd to run as
SRC subsystems -- basically a "standalone mode but do not fork" flag.
(I'm getting good at these, having done the same to sshd and apache.)
Let me know if you want details and the patch.

Peter