native posix permissions

Shirish Kalele kalele at veritas.com
Mon Jun 26 16:49:34 GMT 2000

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> On Jun 25,  4:40pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > Subject: Re: native posix permissions
> > On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Shirish Kalele wrote:
> >
> > > The disadvantage is that you'd need to install a client component to
make
> > > sense of these unix-acls.
> >
> > microsoft indicated, three years ago, that if extensions like this were
> > added, they'd consider adding support for them in their clients.
> >
> >-- End of excerpt from Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
>
> ..and it seemed as though they were at least willing to listen to such
ideas,
> based on the folks we met at the CIFS conference.

Yes, that's true. But do you see support for this coming from Microsoft
themselves? As far as I understand, all they were willing to do was reserve
the said bits in the smb packets to flag unix acls. Of course, the Samba
team could provide the clients, but I'm not sure we want to go down that
road. Till then, acl mapping rules :-)

SK