Update on blocked port

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Thu Jun 8 07:11:20 GMT 2000

[Ron Alexander <rcalex at home.com>]
> The telnet comes back with
> Trying...
> A LOT OF TIME PASSES HERE
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: The connection timed out.
>
> When I use "telnet 83.76.98.11 137" I get
>
> Trying...
> NO pause here, it returns immediately.
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: The connection was refused.

Here's an easy way to isolate the problem a little:

Disable Samba.

Add a line to /etc/inetd.conf like so:

  netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait nobody /bin/cat cat /etc/motd

Signal your inetd, then see if you can raise your motd file via telnet.
If not, the problem is the network, not Samba.

Note: the exact format of an inetd.conf line is somewhat OS-dependent.
Check your manpage (and try local telnet to make sure *that* works).

For UDP, I'm not so sure.  Some versions of `traceroute' (the
Debian-Linux-packaged version, for instance) use UDP rather than ICMP,
and you can control the port with -p.  That might work, with a bit of
experimentation.  Haven't tried it.

Peter