Installing Samba

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Jul 24 11:23:39 GMT 2000

> "Bryan J. Ludasher" wrote:
>
> Can you give me some help installing Samba?
> I am very new to Linux and I would like to install
> Samba on my Linux box for PC networking in our office.  I
> bought a book "Teach yourself Samba in 24-Hours", I
> don't understand how to install the program that's on
> the CD that came with the book.  Could you help me with
> step-by-step instructions to install the program

Bryan,

The version of Samba included with the book is 2.0.3.
The latest relase is 2.0.7.  You should download
http://us4.samba.org/samba/ftp/samba-2.0.7.tar.gz
to /usr/local/src on your Linux host and run

	# gzip -dc samba-2.0.7.tar.gz | tar xvf -
	# cd samba-2.0.7/source
	# ./configure
	# make
	# make install

The samba binaries, man pages, etc... will be installed
into /usr/local/samba/

Cheers,
jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com