Multiple WINS Servers Enhancement

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Jul 7 19:19:49 GMT 2000

On Jul 8,  5:12am, Herb Lewis wrote:
> Subject: Re: Multiple WINS Servers Enhancement
> Gerald Carter wrote:
> >

> > I'll stick by the list of ip's is more intuitive
> > (like the password server parameter).  The only reason
> > Windows client have a primary and secondary
> > is lack of space in the dialog window.  Windows 98 SE
> > alows more than two I think.  Someone double check me.
> >

> Win98 SE definitely allows more than 2 to be entered. I tried 5 and
> quit so I'm not sure what the max is. How they use those values is
> another question :-)

It *should* be a simple failover.  Use the first one.  If you get no response
at all try the second, and so on.

The other possibility is that you'd try the second one if you got a negative
name query response from the first, etc.  In that case you'd assume that the
WINS servers are *not* sync'd.  This would be one way to merge NetBIOS name
spaces.  The implications make my head swim, though.

Chris -)-----