Multiple WINS Servers Enhancement

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Jul 7 17:04:30 GMT 2000

I'm obviously doing a poor job expressing myself.

I wanted to add the patch to Samba, but I wanted to see if there were any
objections first.  I felt a little flamed when I suggested that there might be,
so I responded with as much info as I have regarding the pro's and con's of
using the feature.  I don't see any reason not to do it either.  I wanted to
make sure no one else did and I feel that understanding how it all works is a
useful first step.

As far as being "stuck with this replication argument", I don't know where you
get that.  I don't think I'm arguing anything.  I've been toying with the
question of WINS replication for about two years.  It's simply my feeling that,
if Samba supports WINS failover then we should also support replication so that
Samba servers can be used for failover.  That would complete the failover
support.

Chris -)-----