Using Samba -- domain logins

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Jan 4 23:16:53 GMT 2000

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> >I know that.  I just think that we have to develop
> >more parameters later on to mean, "No I really am a BDC!"
> >This is not an issue of whether or not we can do it, but
> >whether or not it is a good idea.  I seem to be outvited
> >on my opinion and so I will hush now. ;)

> OK, now that I understand that you are talking about "what should be"
> rather than "what is now", I tend to agree that we need to split these
> things out.

In that case, we all seem to be arguing the same side... :)  Yes, I don't
think they should all fall under the same parameter, especially when the
documentation hammers home the point that Win9x network logons are not the
same thing as NT domain logons.

Are there ever cases when an NT machine that isn't a PDC or BDC should accept
NT client logons?  If not, then only two config options are needed: one for NT
client logons, and one for Win9x client logons.  Question is, which should
inherit the name 'domain logons'...

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer