remote announce, remote browse sync, multiple domains on one system

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Wed Feb 16 09:17:40 GMT 2000

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 05:55:22PM +1100, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking at remote browse sync and remote announce, and I notice that
> nmbd only sends host announcements to remote networks and not workgroup
> announcements.  This seems entirely reasonable in a broadcast based system.
>
> For you to have two workgroups on the one wire/broadcast domain, you must
> have two local master browsers on the wire, or so it seems.
>
> Thus, if you want to run two servers on the one machine, each in different
> workgroups, you need to ensure that they are in the same subnet on that
> wire, it seems.
>
> Any corrections?

This isn't a correction, just something that doesn't appear to be in the docs.
It may be generally useful to someone.

Problem:
two networks, both using private IP addresses connected
using IPSec across the 'Net. One machine, MUSTSERV, (a samba server) needs to be
visible in both networks. Each network uses distinct netbios and DNS domains
(NETA is network-a.internal, DOMB is domain-b.intranet) and broadcasts are not
propagated. I do not have control over any machine on either of the networks
except: two samba servers and the dns servers.

Solution:
I used `remote announce' to have DOMB/MUSTSERV appear on NETA

It took me some time to realise that even though the machine was appearing
in the browse lists (in fact I explicitly remote announced to the LMB/DMB),
name to ip address resolution was failing.

Strangely Win98 appears to, after trying broadcast resolution, use the DNS.
In my case a DNS server is set, in the TCP/IP properties of each client machine,
to one of the machines I control. Also set on each client are its own hostname
and domainname. No DNS search order has been set.

So my solution was to make MUSTSERV.network-a.internal simply be a CNAME
to MUSTSERV.domain-b.intranet and it all works happily. It appears that
Win98 operates in M-Node (Q119493) by default. Win NT (SP6) does not.

Cheers,
Anand