remote announce, remote browse sync, multiple domains on one system

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu Feb 10 07:02:25 GMT 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was looking at remote browse sync and remote announce, and I notice that
> nmbd only sends host announcements to remote networks and not workgroup
> announcements.  This seems entirely reasonable in a broadcast based system.
>
> For you to have two workgroups on the one wire/broadcast domain, you must
> have two local master browsers on the wire, or so it seems.

yes.

> Thus, if you want to run two servers on the one machine, each in different
> workgroups, you need to ensure that they are in the same subnet on that
> wire, it seems.

no, that shouldn't be the case.

logically, they are in different NetBIOS scopes, therefore exactly the
same rules apply as if the two servers were not on the same machine.

it so happens that because we have a restriction where nmbd binds directly
to port 137 and port 138, you cannot have more than one nmbd running on a
single ip address.

if we had an nmbd kernel implementation, or used the nmb redirector i
wrote, this would not need to be the case.

luke