Nicolas Williams' source environment variables

Dan Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Wed Feb 2 22:22:53 GMT 2000

> it's not so much a matter of it being a big deal [to run external
> programs: %`cat somefile`], it just that it won't go into the main samba
> distribution, for reasons already discussed by jeremy and andrew on a
> patch submitted over eighteen months ago that had this functionality.  i
> put it in, jeremy took it out.  andrew had already reviewed and rejected
> it.

Well Luke, mind giving me a bit of a recap here?  After all, 18 months ago
we didn't have Samba-Fu on the cusp of entering the main Samba
distribution, nor did we have nearly as many crazy dynamic uses of Samba
configs lying around.

The fact that this functionality already exists in an ugly form--preexec +
include--and the avowed desire to eliminate ugly hacks like magic script
*might* have some kind of impact here.

Yours Truly,

	Dan Kaminsky
	DoxPara Research