Nicolas Williams' source environment variables

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Feb 2 21:53:48 GMT 2000

> > > Presently, we include outside files.  Why not allow inclusion based upon
> > > outside executables?
> >
> > no, no, and no.
> >
> > use outside exes to _generate_ the scripts, off-line.
>
> If they're fully pregenerated, you lose alot of flexibility.  If you turn
> smb.conf into a new scripting language, you lose alot of ease of use.
>
> I really don't mind leaving smb.conf as an almost wholly variabled
> environment, if I can bounce out into an external script to determine the
> appropriate policy given a set of inputs.
>
> This isn't all that big of a deal, Luke.

it's not so much a matter of it being a big deal [to run external
programs: %`cat somefile`], it just that it won't go into the main samba
distribution, for reasons already discussed by jeremy and andrew on a
patch submitted over eighteen months ago that had this functionality.  i
put it in, jeremy took it out.  andrew had already reviewed and rejected
it.

luke