Nicolas Williams' source environment variables

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Wed Feb 2 14:10:01 GMT 2000

David Collier-Brown said:
[SNIP]
>   This was too academic, and promptly disappeard from the book, but
> it is a decent question of the development team: how much
> programmability should there be in the main smb.conf file?

This is a good question.  Currently we use conditional includes (based
mostly on machine name) - if there include otherwise not.

Also use ordering to allow override of defaults - whether set or not.

We do have one set of configuration files centrally and generate the per
machine files from this.  There is too much outside data for us to benefit
much from cleverer smb.conf processing (eg used to use ifconfig to get
interfaces - this has hooray gone with 2.0.6 - but still need to work out
subnet specific names and derive machine specific shares from an AMD map!).