Cross-subnet browsing.

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Tue Feb 1 09:02:59 GMT 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 12:24:55 +1100, hai scritto:

>> Samba docs and some MS kb articles suggest that win9x should be able to
>> do it.
>Which Samba docs suggest that Win9x can be a local master browser?  The only
>information I've ever seen makes it quite clear that Win9x doesn't carry out
>LMB functionality properly.

This is from BROWSING.txt:
===
Next, you should ensure that each of the subnets contains a
machine that can act as a local master browser for the
workgroup.  Any NT machine should be able to do this, as will
Windows 95 machines (although these tend to get rebooted more
often, so it's not such a good idea to use these).  To make a
Samba server a local master browser set the following
options in the [global] section of the smb.conf file :
===

>Are there other KB articles which give more information about how to make this
>work?
Yes, there are but I don't have the numbers, sorry :)
Try some search on the kb.

giulioo at pobox.com