Cross-subnet browsing.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Feb 1 01:28:54 GMT 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Giulio Orsero wrote:
>
> > >Is this realy true that we need a Samba (or NT) server on each subnet for
> > >each workgroup ???
> > There was a discussion about this issue sometime ago.
> > Samba docs and some MS kb articles suggest that win9x should be able to
> > do it.
>
> Which Samba docs suggest that Win9x can be a local master browser?  The only
> information I've ever seen makes it quite clear that Win9x doesn't carry out
> LMB functionality properly.

the problem is usually that people set up windows boxes with IPX/SPX and
NETBEUI as _well_ as tcp/ip.

these network neighbourhoods are _totally_ separate from each other, which
causes instant headaches.

try having an NT PDC with only TCP/IP oon it with all you win9x boxes with
IPX/SPX and tcp/ip, and see what happens (no samba anywhere).