Directory listing in libsmbclient.so

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Fri Dec 29 20:03:12 GMT 2000

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> Scope is very difficult to explain.  It is a mechanism for creating
> virtual LANs within a virtual LAN.  See:
>   http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/NetBIOS.html

Okay, from this I gather that scope functions almost like a mask
on NBT broadcasts, attempting to mimic a routed domain hierarchy.
I know "." isn't allowed in a machine name, but what about a workgroup?
If not, adapt the workgroup browsing syntax to this:

smb://workgroup[.scope]/

Simple, compliant, and makes sense too.  Again, once we have a machine
name, this should become irrelevant.

Of course, if "FOO.BAR" is a valid workgroup name, this won't work.
Where is the RFC on the NetBIOS namespace at?  ;^)

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com